Through your support Project Horizon has accomplished huge goals over the last 30 years. But, there is still much work to be done. We invite you to join us for Raising Hope - a campaign to fund and sustain the expansion of our building and programs.
On March 27, supporters, friends, VMI cadets and other students will join the Timber Framers Guild here on Varner Lane as we literally Raise Hope for those affected by domestic and sexual violence. The expansion work on our building will begin March 20 – 31, 2015, in the W&L Pavilion (turned workshop) as volunteer timber framers from all over the world will descend upon Lexington to craft the timbers for our three story, 3,600 ft2 addition to our existing shelter under the leadership and guidance of COL Grigg Mullen.
Our building expansion will house several new programs and services, including:
- a training center for volunteers and allied professionals
- a Child Advocacy Center – a child-friendly space for victims of child abuse to be interviewed
- expanded living space
- a new play area for residents of Lisa’s House
- an elevator to ensure accessibility for all of our programs
- and last, but certainly not least, an efficiency apartment to shelter men who are victims of domestic or sexual assault.
Project Horizon is fulfilling its mission of providing safety and support for victims of domestic and sexual violence and child abuse in the Rockbridge community. Our work is always done in partnership with the community, imagining that it is possible to create homes that are safe and relationships that are healthy and free from violence.
The estate of the late Cy Twombly, world-renowned artist and philanthropist, generously donated $200,000 to assist us in Raising Hope. Now, we turn to our community of partners and ask you to help us double this initial gift. Our reply card has several ways for you to be involved:
- We welcome financial gifts for Raising Hope. Your gifts will enable us to maintain our program expansion. Your gift may be a one-time contribution or a pledge, fulfilled over time.
- You may Raise Hope by furnishing a room or program area
- Church, civic, or student groups can sign up to feed and/or house the timber framers. To prepare and serve home-cooked meals to those volunteering their time for Raising Hope, fill out the reply card and you will be contacted with information about specific dates and times.
Please contribute generously to Raising Hope and sustaining our peacemaking efforts. We deeply appreciate your support.
Board Member, Project Horizon